Carbon monoxide is sometimes known as the silent killer. Without some sort of alarm or detector, it is nearly impossible to determine if carbon monoxide is present since it is colorless and odorless. It is important to familiarize yourself with the various symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and their corresponding ppm level. While everyone is susceptible to carbon monoxide poisoning, the elderly, small children, and those who suffer from chronic conditions are more likely to experience the effects of CO in their home.
Carbon monoxide does occur naturally. It comprises the lower levels of the Earth’s atmosphere. However, it has a short shelf life. Even in this case, too much CO can be very detrimental to the ozone layer. This is why scientists urge us to carpool, reduce our use of aerosols and be more conscientious of our carbon footprint.
Carbon Monoxide and Your HVAC Unit
Performing regular maintenance on your furnace will allow you and your family to be proactive about catching any potential hazards. During a preventative maintenance check, your HVAC technician should check your pilot light, if applicable, as well as your ventilation system.
What You Can Do to Stay Safe
Education is the best tool in protecting you and your family from the dangers of carbon monoxide. If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms or are at all suspicious of a CO leak in your house, contact 911 immediately. If you would like to schedule a maintenance or service appointment for your furnace to ensure it is safe, contact Stellar Services today!!